Monday, October 10, 2011

Vodka?



Kimball: I am at the liquor store. What kind of vodka do you want?
Shay: Uh, regular!
Kimball: There is no "regular". The wall is full of vodka; potato, wheat, all kinds of grains.
Shay: Uh, potato? I don't know!

That was mine and Kimball's conversation Saturday when I sent him to the state liquor store (Don't worry family. We have not started drinking). You see, I found a recipe to make my own vanilla extract. I had know idea real extract had alcohol in it (not your imitation stuff. Check your labels). Anyway, Kimball bought me wheat and potato vodka and I am using the wheat vodka now (I liked the bottle better). Three months from now it will be ready...

Vanilla Extract

6 Vanilla Beans (They smell soooo good!)
750 mL Vodka

-Split vanilla beans in half lengthwise.
-Pour out few ounces of vodka from the bottle to make room for the vanilla beans.
-Place split vanilla beans in the bottle with vodka and secure lid.
-Store in cool, dark place, shake occasionally, for two or more months.
-When vanilla extract is ready, it will have a deep caramel color and smell delicious.

Recipe found here:



Vodka picture is some random picture from the internet

3 comments:

Nikki@EverythingUndertheMoon said...

Oh wow! I totally wanna try this. Im pinning it! New follower. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-7_6572.html

Also, PRETTY PLEASE stop by and check out Random Acts of Kindness Week going on all next week!! I would love it if you could participate!! More info here:
http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/kindness-and-thanksgiving.html

Nikki@EverythingUndertheMoon said...

Oh wow! I totally wanna try this. Im pinning it! New follower. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-7_6572.html

Also, PRETTY PLEASE stop by and check out Random Acts of Kindness Week going on all next week!! I would love it if you could participate!! More info here:
http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/kindness-and-thanksgiving.html

realfoodforager said...

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/11/fat-tuesday-november-8-2011/