2 lbs Tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup White Vinegar
1 Onion, chopped
1 Clove of Garlic, crushed
1/4 cup Honey
4 whole Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cinnamon Stick
1/4 tsp Celery Seeds
1/4 Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp whole Allspice
1 Anaheim Chile, chopped (optional)
1 1/2 tsp Salt
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, celery seeds, red pepper, and allspice. Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet or wok, combine all remaining ingredients except honey. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until onions and chilies are very soft, about 40 minutes.
- Strain the vinegar mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and add the infused vinegar to the tomatoes and stir.
- Puree the tomato sauce in a blender until smooth. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer and return sauce to the skillet.
- Continue heating until the sauce is at a desired thickness, about 2 hours.
- When near completion, add the honey and stir until fully incorporated.
- Taste and adjust salt, honey, and vinegar as desired.
I need a new camera to take better pictures :)
Recipe found in the Internal Bliss cookbook