Thursday, March 15, 2012

Apricot Bars



Apricots are my very favorite dried fruit. I knew I would love these as soon as I saw the recipe. I used arrowroot powder. This was the first time I had ever used it. It has a different flavor...almost peppery. It's not a bad alternative if you can't have wheat.  However, next time I make these, I will use wheat flour.

3 cups Dried Apricots, unsulfered
1/2 cup Sugar, any kind
2 cups Almonds
1/2 cup Butter, softened or Coconut Oil
1 1/2 cups Arrowroot or Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Almond Extract

-Cook apricots in water until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and blend in a food processor with 1/2 cup sugar. Let cool.
-Using a food processor, blend your almonds. Add remaining ingredients.
-Press 2/3 of almond mixture into a greased 9x13 pan, making a very thin crust. Bake 15 minutes at 350°
-Spread the apricot mixture onto crust.
-Sprinkle your remaining almond mixture overtop of apricots.
-Bake at 325° for about 45 minutes.

{Recipe from Nourishing Traditions}

No comments: