Thursday, December 8, 2011

Beef Bourgignon


{Recipe from Nourishing Traditions}


I had to send Kimball back the State Liquor Store. This time to buy red wine. I was a little skeptical of a recipe with wine in it. Honestly, I think it stinks so I didn't think this would be good. It turn out, it was very good! I will definately make this again! I didn't have the fresh thyme. I just used a little bit of the thyme seasoning. I also didn't have the green peppercorns (I don't even know what those are.) And next time I make it, I will double the onions and mushrooms. They are a great addition!

I only used half the bottle of wine so I am going to try another recipe with wine in it. We don't drink at my house so it's kind of funny to see Vodka on my counter (vanilla extract) and red wine in my fridge.

3 pounds stew beef, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 cups red wine
4 cups beef stock
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup unbleached flour
several small slivers orange peel
several sprigs fresh thyme, tied together
1/2 teaspoon dried green peppercorns, crushed
1 pound fresh mushrooms
2 pounds medium boiling onions
sea salt and pepper

-Marinate beef in wine for several hours or overnight. Remove and dry well with paper towels. This is important. Beef will not brown if too wet.
-Melt 3 tablespoons each butter and oil in a heavy flameproof casserole.
-Brown the meat cubes in small batches, transferring with a slotted spoon to a plate when done. When all are browned, pour out cooking fat.
-Add remaining 3 TBsp butter to the casserole, let it melt and add flour. Cook the flour in the butter, stirring constantly, for several minutes.
-Add wine from the marinade and stock. Bring to boil, stirring up scrapings from the botton of the pan and blend well with a wire wisk.
-Return meat and juices that have acculated in the plate. Add thyme, crushed peppercorns, and orange peel.
-Transfer casserole to 300 degree oven and cook 3 or 4 hours or until meat is tender.
-Meanwhile brown the mushrooms, peel the onions and saute them gently in butter and oil for about 20 minutes.
-When meat is tender, remove from oven. Season to taste. Remove thyme. Stir in onions and mushrooms.
-Serve

No comments: